Sunday, December 18, 2016

The Sound of My Name

My name is only a shortened version of what the original was.

Noble. That's what it means in English.

Thirst. That's what it means in Hindi.

Although, I am not of noble ranking nor am I in thirst. I am not even the saint that they associate me with.

I am me. That name is me, but it is not me. What makes that name me are the people that say that name to me making that name my name. Mine. My own. It is associated to me. Only to me. Like a call. Each distinct, but directed with the same purpose.

My friends say my name with an ease. Present but not present. Common but not common. Sometimes with a persistence, and other times with exasperation. It is spoken softly but the pronunciation gives it a marble-mouthed sound. Not that clear, but clear enough to be heard and understood. They say it with a steadfast tone. Always strong.

My teachers say it with a push. A move forward to a direction that I can take to be the best I can become. Always nudging with a persistence, but not too much that I fall. It is nurturing but strict. Sometimes they shorten it, but not often. In the end, it always holds the same underlying mission. The same intention of helping strength.

 At home, I am called by a different name. Not too different to make it something else entirely, but unique enough to be proven something distinct from the rest. It's like a songbird. It's shrill with a slight trill on the first syllable. It is said with an accent. Slightly melodic but annoying at other times. They are filled with many indications. Emotions. Some are negative. Insistence. Exasperation. Anger. Some are positive. Affection. Cheerfulness. Gratitude.

My siblings call me something else entirely. It is derived from the meaning of "elder sister" in my native tongue. Not by my name they call me. In replacement, elder sister.  Sometimes they say it with scorn or an indifference. Other times with an affection. Most times with an annoying twinge that makes me want to break my already stretched patience.

In the end, it's me. My name is me. Always there but not there. None the less, I wouldn't have it any other way.

---
I Found This Online, and I Don't Know Whether to Laugh or Feel Bad

No comments:

Post a Comment